Monday, October 24, 2011

Jam-Packed weekend

 Loading up to go to the Maybe Farm pumpkin patch
 My Men searching for appropriate pumpkins

 These are my old stomping grounds. My running route took me by the Jordan River Temple every time i ran. Sunset was perfect; fields all over that i watched slowly disappear to development as i grew up. I love my home town. Maybe farms have always been around and i hope they will always be around. The geese come in the fall and eat up the leftover corn and the sound of their wings flapping and their honking forever hold magic over my heart. That and the sounds my brothers make mimicking guns and Grandpa Jack and Uncle Mark as they prepare for slaughter.
 The Loot
 BYU Football runs in the blood of every Hakes family member (except Kirk-he bleeds red). We were brave and took our beloved boys to their first foodball game. BYU vs Idaho State (my parents alma mater). ISU got killed and caleb learned the fight song. (ra ra rarara ra ra rarara gooooooo cougars!!). Colton was a champ and it was totally worth it! K didnt like it when i (and everyone else) cheered--apparently i was too loud.

 Family Home evening was carving pumpkins, roasting seeds and eating fresh raspberries with dark chocolate. It rocked!
 If you don't know this already, rob is a bit of a perfectionist with projects (he claims he "just wants this to be nice"). he carefully drew the face after he and i drew a few faces on paper and let caleb choose which one he wanted. K didnt like the feel of pumpkin innards at first but quickly acclimated (with encouragement from dad). We roasted the seeds and the boys ate them all. Rob even managed to convince K to eat raw pumpkin with him. i wanted to gag.
Finished product
(praise heaven for an awesome camera)

No comments: