Monday, May 25, 2009

Hmm...wow...huh

i read this article about reproduction, women's rights, family planning and how eco-activists are saying we need to have fewer children to save the planet and honestly, i am not sure of my reaction.

D&C 104: 17 says "for the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves." Throughout D&C we read of using what we have with 'prudence and thanksgiving' (D&C 89 to begin with).

for generations, population control was managed naturally-either you could have kids or you couldn't. if you are like me and have had a hard time conceiving you are infinitely grateful for God's gift of modern medicine.

how does this fit? am i being a over-consumer? will i teach my family to consume too much? what is behind the green movement? does it really matter? is the environment God gave us going to fail? how does all this impact me in my life? isn't it just another way to spend more on a product? who are the experts and why does their opinion matter?

globalism. reproduction. life cycle. class-status. gospel weaved in all this.
so, i want to know, what do you think?

2 comments:

Laur said...

I am not into politics, but I think spending millions of dollars on "BE GREEN" or "GLOBAL WARMING" is ridiculous when there are children being raped and murdered.
I don't believe that the government should be able to even suggest to us how many children we can have. Other than I am not a huge supporter of people having a lot of kids and then using welfare to take care of them. I do however feel like it would be nice to have more birth control out there because teenagers and drug addicts do not need to be having children.
I didn't even read the article yet, I am on my way to do so. So sorry if this isn't exactly what you wanted opinions on. I'll go read it and reply again.

hakesfam said...

Hmmm. Saw an interesting email a couple of weeks ago that our "zero population" movement back in the 60s and 70s will eventually backfire on us, leaving our society terribly lacking for people to run the economy and just keep things going. I think maybe some scientist if finally catching up with the truths in the D&C. I believe there is abundance.