Friday, March 23, 2012

Happy Hunger Games

I saw this movie last night. 
Have you read the book? Well if you haven't it is quite the read and well worth your time, in my opinion. 
If you let it, it will make you think-a quality i relish in my literature. 
As to the movie...i enjoyed it. I cannot say i loved it and here is why. 

It is...sobering. 

I am not a flippiant creature when it comes to death. I take it seriously and because i have read this book a few times and loved it i have tried to find parallels with Katniss. Consequently i have wondered what it would mean to me to fight to the death. 
Thus having this book put to screen, for me, is more difficult than i would have liked it to be. 
In a book i can not conjure the meaning of the word "screaming" if i don't want to. 
I can overlook the meaning of "starvation"
I can buffer the heart wrenching innocence of the young.
Not in a movie.
 My mind doesn't have the same opportunity because it is there, on a screen in front of my face, impossible to overlook. 
So it was hard for me.
However.....
The garishness of the capitol citizens was even funnier than in the book. 
Their simplemindedness was astounding. 
Haymitch was far more real and human to me than in a book. The man who played him (i have no idea who he is) did a wonderful job!!
I loved katniss and peta and gale and cenna.
So, go see it. 
It is worth it. 
Anything that has the power to make me think so dang hard is always worth it and that is why i recommend it. Not because it will do the same thing to you, but because i got something out of it i feel it is worthy of recommendation. 

****************************************************

On a philosophical level:
As i walked out of the theatre a question popped into my mind and has haunted me:

Are we (the audience) any better than the people at the capitol? 

reading/watching the story of children fight to the death, are we just as simpleminded and dulled?
Are we so driven by entertainment that we are no better than the citizens of ancient rome cheering on the gladiators to their impending doom?
Like i said...it made me think hard. 
Will this happen to you? Who knows. 
Do not let my thinking reaction shy you away. 






No comments: